top of page
Hunger Walkathon West CROP Walk
Ending Hunger one step at a time



 

Walkathon West is a peer-to-peer fundraising event organized entirely by volunteers in Oak Park. The CROP Walk brings the community together across party lines, faith traditions, and economic status to stand united in a belief that hunger is a solvable injustice. 

Below is a little bit of our history, who receives the funds, and how the funds are being used each year.

Early in the 1980s, some members of Oak Park's Second Presbyterian Church (since closed) formed a group interested in hunger issues. They met weekly in homes for simple soup suppers, and to address hunger issues and solutions. They soon transferred their membership to First United Church of Oak Park, where they continued to meet with the encouragement of the church staff. In about 1983 they were approached by Janet Young, Regional Director for Church World Service (CWS), to start a local CROP Walk to raise funds to alleviate hunger.  75% of total funds return to CWS for national and international relief and development programs. Learn more about CWS. The remaining 25% remain local benefiting these agencies
 

The Impact of the Walk

Since our inception we have raised over $2 million to support local agencies in our community and around the world. See the 2023 CWS Annual Report.

Getting Signed Up

Ready to join hundreds of other hunger fighters? Check out this short video on how to get signed up for the walk. After getting signed up click the button at the bottom to learn some best tips for reaching your goal.  

bottom of page